Affirmative action in Texas has always been a controversial issue. As a white female university student, I am against it. But as someone who embraces diversity, I am for it.
Although affirmative action is not allowed through the Texas university admissions process, it is definitely allowed through private scholarships. I spent most of my senior year of high school applying and interviewing for various scholarships. I knew that I would need extra money for college if I didn’t want to take out huge loans or make my single mom with a low income go into debt for me. So, in my financially needy state, I am against picking people for scholarships based on their ethnicity. But in my member of society state, I’m for supporting minorities in a chance to receive a higher education.
It’s a frustrating feeling being pulled in both directions. But, as a university student, it’s hard for me not to question its fairness. A minority student could be better off than me financially, but a lot of scholarships don’t ask for financial information. A couple essays, an application, a transcript, and letters of recommendation are what are usually needed to apply for a scholarship. These applications will sometimes ask about the applicant’s ethnicity. There should be no difference whether I’m white or Hispanic or African American. Scholarships are about needing the money for education and showing your credentials for why you should receive it.
All minorities are not financially in need, but affirmative action in scholarship selections tends to make that assumption. Minorities can be just as financially sound and wealthy as majorities, so affirmative action appears outdated to me. Now that affirmative action has been eliminated from the college admissions process, I think it should be eliminated from the scholarship selection process, as well.
I recognize my extreme bias on the subject, and know affirmative action is a highly controversial subject. I am sure if you were to ask me once I’m finished with my college education what I thought about affirmative action, I would give you a different answer, but at this time in my life, I find it to be an unfair process.
No comments:
Post a Comment