Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Re: How dentists and real estate agents know more than you

Laura’s editorial, “How dentists and real estate agents know more than you,” was informative and enlightening.  The textbook issue in Texas is yet another flaw in our education system.  It is a crisis that is frightening to contemplate as it affects everyone’s futures here in Texas. 

It is worrisome, to say the least, how the mostly conservative Board of Education is able to dictate what kids learn in school.  With that conservative bias on our text books, what else will students learn besides the conservative way?  As difficult as it may be, I think text books should have no biases.  As Laura said, I also believe children soak up everything they learn as a basis for their future beliefs.  When all that is being fed to them is conservative ideals and a history painted with a positive conservative view, what else will kids turn out to be?

The downplay of the importance of separation of church and state is another huge issue of concern.   There should be absolutely no link to religion and government.  No connection whatsoever.  Government decisions should not be fueled by the justifications of one’s religion.  With children growing up with the mentality that secularism isn’t that important of an issue, out future leaders could bring religion into government. 

I completely agree with Laura that these books the Board has passed are basically breeding another generation of conservative Republicans.   This will ensure no liberal or Democratic influences will enter Texas government anytime soon. 

I am glad I took my upper level high school social studies courses through Austin Community College.  Maybe if I didn’t, my political views would be far less liberal than they are today.

 

"How dentists and real estate agents know more than you"
Lone Star Liberal
http://liberaleyesoftexas.blogspot.com/2011/07/of-course-you-know-what-jefferson.html

No comments:

Post a Comment